Crispy Chicken Wings1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
2 tspvegetable oil
2 tspsoy sauce
1/2 tspfive spice powder
1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking soda
FIVE SPICE POWDER INGREDIENTS
2 Tbsppeppercorns, whole black
How to Make Crispy Chicken Wings
- Separate chicken wings at joints; discard tips.
- Mix egg, 2 teaspoons oil, soy sauce, sugar, salt and five-spice powder; pour over chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Add water to chicken; stir flour, cornstarch and baking soda into chicken.
- Heat oil (1 l/2 inches) in dutch oven or wok to 350.
- Fry 4 or 5 chicken pieces at a time about 4 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times, until light brown; drain on paper towel.
- Increase oil temperature to 375.
- Fry half of the chicken pieces about 1 minute or until golden brown; drain on paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Serve with sweet-and-sour sauce or hot mustard if desired.
- FIVE SPICE POWDER
In a small, heavy dry skillet, toast peppercorns over medium heat until they become fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Shake pan often to prevent burning. Remove to a bowl.
- Repeat toasting process separately with star anise, fennel seeds, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Pour all of the toasted spices into a spice grinder (or clean coffee grinder) and grind to a fine powder.
- Let rest in the grinder for 1 minute, then transfer to a glass container and tighten lid. Store in a cool, dark place up to one month.
- Use five-spice powder sparingly, as it can be quite pungent.