Buffalo Wings Sauce
Then found out they were conceived at the "Anchor Bar" in Buffalo, New York. Dominic Bellisimo was tending bar late one night at Anchor Bar in 1964 when a group of his friends arrived with a considerable appetite.
Dominic asked his mother Terresa who was working the kitchen to whip up something for his friends.
Not being totally enamored by the situation she decided on providing the gang something Different.
She proceeded to make History with her Wings.
The following is said to be a copy of her sauce. Which truthfully, is a guarded secret. Anchor Bar Sauce is bottled and sold in some stores, and is available on their website.
Back in the days when I was a flight attendant I would occasionally find myself in Buffalo and just had to have the Anchor Bar wings. Sometimes the pilot would even radio ahead and have some of these delicious wings delivered so we could eat them during our downtime! This recipe brought back a lot of pleasant memories for me. If you can’t make it to Buffalo this is the next best thing.
- chicken wing pieces -- sectioned or split tips discarded
- 6 Tbsp
- louisianna hot sauce (this is the brand name)
- 1/2 stick
- margarine -- not butter
- 1 Tbsp
- white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp
- celery seed
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp
- garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp
- wosestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tsp
- tabasco sauce
- dash of salt and pepper
- carrot and celery sticks
- bleu cheese dressing
How to Make Buffalo Wings Sauce
- 1I don't know whether she breaded the wings or dusted with flour or not. It is said she deep fried them. I dust the sectioned wings with my "All Purpose Breading or Coating" which see, and place on foil lined pizza platters and bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees. Occasionally deep fry them. They come out of the oven great.
- 2For the Sauce place all sauce ingredients in small fry pan or pot and warm through and simmer on very low heat for 10 minutes stir some. I use fry pan for larger heat surface.
- 3In large bowl add wings then pour sauce over and shake and combine well.
- 4Serve with Carrot and Celery Sticks and Bleu Cheese or Ranch Dressing or both. I use my homemade "Bleu Cheese Dressing", which see. Make it. Use it. And you won't buy pre-bottled again.
- 5The wings can be placed in a crock pot on warm to keep warm for gatherings. I normally provide a second crock pot of normal "Tame" wings as well. They're a treat. And as big a treat cold the following day.
- 6It is proclaimed that Frank and Terresa's Buffalo Wings are the "Best Wings In The World".
- 7For Super Hot wings I dust wings first with a small amount of my "Hot Chilis/Pepper Powder", which see. Then dust with flour and proceed. You could use Cayenne Powder. Make sure the Fire Hose is near.
- 8An Alternative "Hot" Sauce: 2/3 cup "Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce", 1/3 cup Ketchup, 1/3 cup Lemon Juice or "Real Lemon", 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce, 2 tablespoons Butter, 1/2 teaspoon of my "Hot Chilis/Pepper Powder" mix, which see, you could use Cayenne Powder. Stir well and warm. Frank's unadulterated Buffalo Wing Sauce is one of my favorites by itself.
- 9If you are a Buffalo Wing aficionado give these a try. That's a Challenge.