Thai Tortellini Fritters
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is such a great appetizer! We used cheese tortellini, but feel free to get even more creative. Oh, and did we mention that the dipping sauce is nothing short of divine?! It is. The Test Kitchen
- 9 oz
- refrigerated three cheese tortellinis
- 1/4 c
- self rising flour
- 8 Tbsp
- thai sweet chili sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 c
- mayonnaise, divided
- 2 large
- 1 1/2 c
- panko breadcrumbs
- 1 c
- unsweetened, dried grated coconut
- 1 tsp
- salt or to taste
- 3 c
- corn oil for frying
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh lime juice +grated lime zest from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp
- asian chili garlic paste or to taste
- fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
How to Make Thai Tortellini Fritters
- 1Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and cool.
- 2While tortellini is cooking, set up breading station. Whisk 2 tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce with 1 cup mayonnaise and eggs in a wide pasta bowl.
- 3In an 11- inch pie pan mix panko, coconut and salt.
- 4Toss tortellini with flour first. Mix tortellini gently with egg/mayo mixture in the pasta bowl, and let stand 10 minutes. Take out a few tortellini at a time and roll in panko. Line a 9 x 14 inch cookie sheet with parchment paper and place tortellinis on baking pan. Chill at least 1-2 hours.
- 5Pour oil into a wok. Heat to 375°. Fry tortellini, in small batches, until golden brown. (They brown in less than 1/2 minute). Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with dip. Garnish with cilantro.
- 6To make dip:
Mix remaining Thai sweet chili sauce and mayonnaise with lime juice and garlic chili paste. Adjust salt and degree of heat to taste.