Thai Tortellini Fritters
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is such a great appetizer! We used cheese tortellini, but feel free to get even more creative. Oh, and did we mention that the dipping sauce is nothing short of divine?! It is. The Test Kitchen
9 ozrefrigerated three cheese tortellinis
1/4 cself rising flour
8 Tbspthai sweet chili sauce, divided
1 1/2 cmayonnaise, divided
1 1/2 cpanko breadcrumbs
1 cunsweetened, dried grated coconut
1 tspsalt or to taste
3 ccorn oil for frying
2 Tbspfresh lime juice +grated lime zest from 1 lime
1/2 tspasian chili garlic paste or to taste
·fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
How to Make Thai Tortellini Fritters
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and cool.
- While tortellini is cooking, set up breading station. Whisk 2 tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce with 1 cup mayonnaise and eggs in a wide pasta bowl.
- In an 11- inch pie pan mix panko, coconut and salt.
- Toss tortellini with flour first. Mix tortellini gently with egg/mayo mixture in the pasta bowl, and let stand 10 minutes. Take out a few tortellini at a time and roll in panko. Line a 9 x 14 inch cookie sheet with parchment paper and place tortellinis on baking pan. Chill at least 1-2 hours.
- Pour oil into a wok. Heat to 375°. Fry tortellini, in small batches, until golden brown. (They brown in less than 1/2 minute). Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with dip. Garnish with cilantro.
- To make dip:
Mix remaining Thai sweet chili sauce and mayonnaise with lime juice and garlic chili paste. Adjust salt and degree of heat to taste.