5 qtcucumbers 1 1/2 to 3 inches long
8 cgranulated sugar divided
1/2 cpickling salt
6 cdistilled white vinegar divided
1 tspturmeric, ground
2 tspcelery seed
2 tsppickling spice
8pieces cinnamon sticks 1 inch piece
How to Make SWEET GHERKINS BY EDDIE
- Day One: 1, Wash cucumbers, remove blossom, use smallest first.
I2. In the afternoon, place cucumbers in a large bowl and cover with boiling water, let stand six hours to overnight.
- Day Two: 1. In the morning , drain cucumbers and cover with fresh boiling water.
2. in the afternoon drain cucumbers add salt, cover with fresh boiling water.
- Day three 1: 1. In the morning drain cucumbers, Prick with a fork. Combine 3 cups of the sugar, three cups of the vinegar, herbs and spices, heat to the boiling point and pour over the cucumbers.
- Day Three 2 : 1. In the afternoon , drain syrup mixture into a large pan, add 2 more cups sugar and 2 more cups of the vinegar. Heat to boiling point and pour over cucumbers let stand.
- Day Four 1: 1 In the morning,drain syrup mixture into a large pan add 2 cups of the sugar and 1 cup of the vinegar. Heat to boiling point and pour over pickles
- Forth day 2: 1. In the afternoon, prepare jars , drain syrup mixture off pickles into a large pan add the remaining 1 cup of sugar to the syrup heat to boiling.
2. Pack pickles into clean , hot jars cover with syrup leaving1/2 inch head space seal . Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.