★★★★★ 1 vote5
How to Make Ribbon Sandwiches
- For the Egg Salad: 4-5 hard boiled eggs--chop in food processor or with fork until very fine. Add 1/2 cup (or so) of real mayo and a good sprinkle (like a tsp or so) of ranch dry mix and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Cream Cheese and Jam: mash with fork til soft 6 oz cream cheese, add 1-2 tbls of any sort of jam, add a tiny pinch of cinnamon and mix all until smooth.
- Ham Salad: Chop in a food processor 1 can of spam; remove from food processor. Chop in processor 1/4-1/2 of a small onion; 1 stalk of celery and 1 tbls sweet relish. With your hands, or a strainer, squeeze out the excess juice from the chopped veggies and add the veggies to the chopped spam. If you don't squeeze out the excess juice, the sandwiches get soggy. Add 1/4 tsp worchestire sauce, 1 tsp regular yellow mustard and 1/4 -1/2 cup of real mayo.
- To Make the Sandwiches: Use one loaf of white and one loaf of wheat sandwich bread (but not split top or rounded loaves) I cut the crusts from four slices of each type of bread at a time and keep the rest in the bread bad to help keep it from getting dry as you work.
- Alternate the fillings and the breads types to get the variations in colors--such as, wheat bread, ham salad, white bread, egg salad, wheat bread, cream cheese and top with white bread. Spread the salads on in a even, thin layer and be sure to cover each slice of bread to the edge, otherwise the colors won't show through on each layer. I usually cut the sandwiches in thirds just when I am ready to serve them.
- As you make the sandwiches and when you store them, keep them covered with a damp paper towel to keep the bread from drying out. These are much better made a day ahead so that the flavors blend--also keep the container tightly covered with foil or plastic wrap -or tupperware would be good.