PURPLE PICKLED EGGS
How to Make PURPLE PICKLED EGGS
- 1Hard boil eggs and peel. Place eggs in a deep container such as a gallon jar (I use a gallon glass jar with a wide mouth opening and lid).
- 2Carefully open cans of beets and pour beet juice in a separate bowl. Drop beets on top of peeled eggs in jar/container.
- 3Measure the beet juice from the 3 cans of beets and carefully pour juice into a good size sauce pan.
- 4To the beet juice, add equal parts white sugar and white vinegar (ie...2c beet juice, 2c sugar, 2c white vinegar ((do not use apple cider vinegar, it changes the flavor completely))
- 5Heat beet juice, sugar, and vinegar until it almost is ready to boil, stirring occassionally to insure sugar disolves.
- 6Remove juice mixture when ready to boil and carefull pour hot mixture over beets and eggs.
- 7Do not stir until mixture is totally cooled down. This allows weight of beets to hold eggs down and keeps them immersed in the hot beet juice mixture.
- 8I let my eggs set overnight before I stir them. You do not need to refrigerate these eggs because the vinegar pickles them. They will keep for 2 weeks.
- 9I make my purple pickled eggs 3 days before I will need them to ensure a good pickling and a deep purple color. The longer they pickle, the better they are!
- 10EXTRA TIP: these eggs make a great sandwich with some mayonaise, salt and pepper
- 11REMEMBER: Always use equal parts of beet juice, white sugar, and white vinegar.