Poppy & Sesame Seed Straws
How to Make Poppy & Sesame Seed Straws
- 1Preheat oven to 400.
- 2Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- 3Heat a small heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 4Add the poppy and sesame seeds and cook, stirring until they are aromatic and toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Turn onto a plate to cool.
- 6In a small bowl, whisk together egg white, oil and salt.
- 7Lay a sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a short side toward you.
- 8With a pastry brush, lightly coat the lower half of the sheet with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon seeds.
- 9Fold the upper half over to the lower half.
- 10Brush the right half of the folded sheet with egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon seeds and fold the left half over the seeds.
- 11Brush the bottom half of the folded sheet with the egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon seeds and fold the upper half over.
- 12Finally, brush the top with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon seeds.
- 13Cut into 10 short strips using a knife or serrated pastry cutter.
- 14With a wide spatula, transfer the strips to the baking sheet, placing them about 1/2 inch apart.
- 15Repeat procedure with remaining 5 sheets of phyllo, egg-white mixture and seeds.
- 16Bake the straws for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- 17Transfer to a rack to cool.
- 18The straws may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.