Pate of the South
- 1 1/2 lb
- extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 oz
- cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 c
- mayonnise, hellman's works best with this
- 1 Tbsp
- grated yellow onion
- 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 7 oz
- whole pimento, peeled, drained, & quartered
How to Make Pate of the South
- 1Place the Cheddar Cheese,Cream Cheese, Mayonnaise, Onion, & Cayenne Pepper in a bowl & with electric mixer beat with flat beater for 1 to 2 minutes on medium speed. (just use your regular generic beater). You only want to mix the ingredients not make them smooth.
- 2Add the Pimento & continue mixing until mixture is somewhat smooth. Still be careful to not over mix. This mixture should not be homogenized.
- 3Pack the cheese in crocks. (put in whatever container you want & lid it.) Cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate at least 45 minutes before serving. Tightly covered the pate will keep in the refrigerator for 4 days. This recipe can be halved.
- 4I have found that roasted red pepper in a jar (red bell pepper that has been roasted) works great in lieu of pimento. Pretty sure the sodium isn't as high either. I like to keep roasted red pepper for putting on top of a piece of toasted garlic bread & thought one night, WHY NOT in the pimento cheese? It works.