Cowboy Candy (Sweet Pickled Jalapenos)
1 lbfresh jalapeno peppers
2/3 ccider vinegar
2 Tbspmustard seed
1/4 tspcelery seed
1 Tbspgarlic powder
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
How to Make Cowboy Candy (Sweet Pickled Jalapenos)
- Slice jalapenos. Wear gloves and don't touch your eyes or other sensitive body parts!
- NOTE: if you want them less spicy, place the sliced jalapenos in a large bowl of water and let the seeds float to the top. Pour off the seeds and drain well before proceeding.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cider vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery and mustard seeds, garlic, and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Reduce the liquid for 5 minutes.
- Add jalapenos to the syrup and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Remove jalapenos from liquid with a slotted spoon into a bowl
Pack the jalapenos into 2 one-pint sterilized canning jars using a spoon, or a small spatula to press them into the jars. Add liquid filling the jars leaving a 1/4 inch head-space.
- Process in a water bath for 15 minutes.