6 cpeanut oil
1 1/2 cself-rising cornmeal
1/2 cself-rising flour
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2small onion chopped
1egg, lightly beaten
1 ccoconut flakes
3 Tbspcream of coconut
2 tspcoconut extract
How to Make Coconut Hushpuppies
- Use a deep pot or fry daddy. Heat the oil to 350-375 degrees
- Using a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. stir in the onion.
- In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and egg.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Add the coconut extract, and cream of coconut to the mixture and stir. Then add the coconut flakes. Mix it all together until well blended.
- Drop the batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil or if you have a small cookie scoop then use that. Do not crowd. The hushpuppies will grow larger as they fry. Turn them half way through so that both sides are golden.
- Remove and place on a papertowel lined plate. Enjoy!