Cheese & Herb Beignets
- 60 g
- butter (about 3 1/2-4 tablespoons butter)
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- grated cheddar cheese (i used an extra sharp white cheddar, finely grated)
- 1/2 c
- finely minced fresh herbs: chives, parsley, chervil (reduced significantly but add more if desired)
- oil suitable for high heat frying
How to Make Cheese & Herb Beignets
- 1Combine butter and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan. Note: a non-stick saucepan works best. Heat on LOW until butter melts. Bring *almost* to boiling point (DO NOT boil).
- 2Sift flour and salt together in a small prep bowl. Add to butter/water mixture all at once; stirring to combine. Cook, stirring, 1 minute, until mixture leaves the sides of the saucepan and forms a ball around the spoon. If you're using a non-stick this step will only take about 15 seconds. Remove saucepan from heat. Transfer mixture to bowl. [*Cool] about 15 minutes. *Reminder: the mixture has to be cool enough so that when you add the eggs in the next step, the eggs won't scramble!
- 3Using an electric mixer, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, until thick, smooth and glossy. Stir in cheese and herbs. Season to taste.
- 4Heat oil in a heavy pan, until very hot. Using an oiled 1 1/2 " diameter cookie scoop or similar, scoop mixture into the hot oil. Cook in batches for 3-4 minutes, until puffed and golden all over; turning often to brown evenly. Transfer with slotted spoon to drain on paper towel. Serve immediately.