Best Turkey Enchiladas Recipe
3 cshredded cooked turkey
3 c(12-oz) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1-4 ozcans chopped green chiles, drained
1/2 cminced fresh cilantro
·salt & pepper to taste
·12-6 inch soft corn tortillas
2 1/2 c(20 oz) canned enchilada sauce or enchilada sauce
1 Tbspvegetable oil
·1 onion, minced
3 Tbspchili powder
·3 garlic cloves, minced
2-8 ozcans tomato sauce
How to Make Best Turkey Enchiladas Recipe
- Sauce : Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, garlic, cumin and sugar. Cook 15 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce and water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper; reserve.
- Enchiladas : Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Heat oven to 400 F.
- Combine the turkey, 2-cups, cheddar, ½-cup of sauce, chilies and cilantro. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stack the tortillas on a microwave safe plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high until warm, about 40-60 seconds. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with vegetable spray.
- Spread the warm tortillas out on a clean counter top. Place ⅓-cup of the turkey mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla. Tightly roll the tortilla and then lay seam side down in the baking dish.
- A second layer will be necessary. Lightly spray the enchiladas with vegetable spray.
- Pour 1-cup of the remaining sauce over the enchiladas to coat thoroughly. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese down the center of the enchiladas.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake 20-25 minutes, until heated through. Remove foil and continue to bake until cheddar cheese browns, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with remaining sauce.