- 4 oz
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp
- chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cumin
- salt to taste
- medium-sized jalapeños
- 2 lb
- breakfast sausage or uncooked sausage, removed from its casing
- beaten eggs
- 1 c
- 1 1/2 c
- seasoned bread crumbs
How to Make Armadillo eggs
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- 2Mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic, cilantro and cumin until well blended. Taste and add salt, and adjust seasonings.
- 3Remove the stems from the jalapeños and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and then cut the sliced jalapeños in half, horizontally. Place about a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling in each jalapeño quarter.
- 4Take about 1/3 cup of the sausage and pat it into a 3-inch circle and place the stuffed jalapeño in the center of the sausage. Wrap the sausage around the stuffed jalapeño until it’s completely covered, and form into an egg shape.
- 5Once you have wrapped the jalapenos with the sausage, dust each one with flour. Then dip each in beaten egg then in the bread crumbs.
- 6Place sausage-wrapped jalapeños on the sheet, about an inch apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked. For additional browning on top, you can place the sheet under the broiler for 2-5 minutes.
- 7Serve with buttermilk dressing, queso or salsa.