4 ozcream cheese, room temperature
1/4 ccheddar cheese, shredded
1clove garlic, minced
1 tspchopped cilantro
1/4 tspground cumin
·salt to taste
2 lbbreakfast sausage or uncooked sausage, removed from its casing
1 1/2 cseasoned bread crumbs
How to Make Armadillo eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375 and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic, cilantro and cumin until well blended. Taste and add salt, and adjust seasonings.
- Remove the stems from the jalapeños and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and then cut the sliced jalapeños in half, horizontally. Place about a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling in each jalapeño quarter.
- Take about 1/3 cup of the sausage and pat it into a 3-inch circle and place the stuffed jalapeño in the center of the sausage. Wrap the sausage around the stuffed jalapeño until it’s completely covered, and form into an egg shape.
- Once you have wrapped the jalapenos with the sausage, dust each one with flour. Then dip each in beaten egg then in the bread crumbs.
- Place sausage-wrapped jalapeños on the sheet, about an inch apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked. For additional browning on top, you can place the sheet under the broiler for 2-5 minutes.
- Serve with buttermilk dressing, queso or salsa.