Smoked summer sausage
Boy was it ever so much better. We will be buying more to smoke.
You can use other rubs that you have handy and just use one that you like for taste and flavor.. you will be surprised how much it improves the flavor.
How to Make Smoked summer sausage
- Remove package and membrane from the sausage and apply a generous amount of rub all over the outside of the summer sausage.
- Set your smoker (mine is a Traeger) to smoke and then a temperature of 225 degrees.
- At 225 degrees: Place the summer sausage on the grill and close lid.
- Let the sausage smoke for approx 2 hours. If the sausage seems a little to much fat in it, poke a few holes to let the some of the grease run out.
- Remove and set on counter till cool and wrap in plastic or foil and store in refrigerator.
- Slice what you need and if needed enjoy with crackers & cheese.