Parisian Piggies in a Blanket
You can experiment with this recipe using different sausages and sauces. Enjoy!
What a lovely take on traditional pigs in a blanket. The meat is delicious and if you can't find the French garlic sausage, I'm sure kielbasa sausage will do just fine. The puff pastry gives this a soft, crunchy texture and the creamy mustard sauce is just divine. The simple side salad with the citrus dressing is a nice addition.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- good quaity olive oil
- 1 Tbsp
- minced shallot
- juice and grated zest of one lemon, one teaspoon juice reserved
- 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard
- 1/3 c
- dry white wine
- 3/4 c
- heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sheet(s)
- frozen puff pastry
- links French garlic sausage, casings removed
- egg wash
- 4 c
- endive, or provencal lettuce blend, torn into bite sized pieces
- lemon slices and chopped chives for garnish (optional)
How to Make Parisian Piggies in a Blanket
- 2Place one tablespoon of the olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add the shallot and cook until softened. Stir in the lemon juice, mustard, and white wine. Simmer and continue stirring until reduced to about 1/4 cup. Whisk in the cream. Season with salt and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the sauce is creamy and fully heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, remove from heat and keep warm.
- 3Thaw and roll out puff pastry, and cut in half lengthwise into 4, 4 1/2 by 9 inch pieces. Sprinkle the lemon zest over the pastry. Place the sausages on the lower third of the pastry slices lengthwise, then fold the remaining pastry over the sausages. Crimp the edges with a fork and trim the ends. Brush the rolls with the egg wash. Place the rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown.