Pancetta and pineapple skewers
- for the vinaigrette:
- one large clove garlic,
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked spanish paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
- for the skewers:
- 4 ounces pancetta, cut into 24 cubes each 1/2 to 3/4 inch
- 6 ounces pineapple, about one half small pineapple, peeled and cut into 24 cubes, each 1/2 to 3/4 inch
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water, 8 inches each
How to Make Pancetta and pineapple skewers
- 1chop the garlic, sprinkle it with a generous 1/2 teaspoon salt, and mashed into a paste with the side of a chef's knife or use a mortar and pestle. In a medium bowl, mix the garlic paste with the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sweet paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- 2Put the Pancetta in a small pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. As soon as the water boils, drain the Pancetta in a colander and let cool slightly. Heat a gas grill to medium-high or prepare a medium hot charcoal fire. Thread two Pancetta cubes and two pineapple cubes onto each skewer, alternating the Pancetta and the pineapple. Put the skewers in a large Pyrex baking dish and pour the vinaigrette over the skewers. turn to coat them completely.
- 3. Grill the skewers covered on a gas grill, uncovered charcoal grill, checking for flareups and turning and flipping the skewers as needed to cook on all sides until the Pancetta is crisp, about six minutes total. Serves six. The vinaigrette can be made up to two days ahead and refrigerated. The skewers can be assembled up to one day ahead and marinated for up to four hours ahead and refrigerated. The pineapple and Pancetta our sweet and salty contrast, and as quick easy appetizer benefits from the subtle smokiness of the paprika vinaigrette marinade. Serves six