- 2 long slim loaves crusty bread (baguettes) about 2 1/2 inches in diameter
- 1 lb. ground chuck, not leaner beef, see note below
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce, tamari, or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 5 to 6 scallions, white and light green parts only
How to Make Manly Meatballs
- 1Preheat oven to 450. Set a rack in middle level or set racks in upper and lower levels if you plan to use two baking sheets.
- 2Slice off and discard heels of baguettes and cut them into 36 slices about 1/2 inch thick, depending on the length of the baguettes, there may be leftover bread for another use. Lay slices side by side on one or two baking sheets.
Mix together meat, soy sauce, or tamari, brown sugar, and scallions in large bowl with your hands. Knead thoroughly til you have a fine paste. Make 36 meatballs about the size of a walnut. Put one in the middle of each bread slice, pressing down slightly.
- 3Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or til meatballs and bread have become one and you can no longer hold back the hungry hordes.
Avoid extra lean ground beef. The meatballs won’t hold together and will dry out. don’t use anything leaner than 85 percent. Add a rounded teaspoon of brown sugar if you use regular soy sauce instead of dark soy sauce. Kids love to shape the little meatballs, and like adults, they are fascinated by how each meatball and bread slice glue together.