Brat & Kraut Strudel
I suppose you could even use pieces of left over pork.. I am going to try that with the next leftover pork roast..a true tradition in Pa..Pork and Sauerkraut!
Serve as a main dish or even an appetizer. I have also made this with my home made pizza dough..worked great!
1 pkg(19 ounces) johnsonville® beer 'n bratwurst
2 Tbspunsalted butter
1 mediumyellow onion, sliced
1 can(s)(14 ounce) sauerkraut, drained ( i have used barvarian style also )
1/2 csour cream
1/2 tspdill weed
1 clovegarlic, minced
2 sheet(s)frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 cmuenster cheese, shredded
2 Tbsppoppy seeds
1/2 tspcaraway seeds
2 Tbspsesame seeds
·salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Brat & Kraut Strudel
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Prepare the links according to package instructions. Cool slightly, and then cut into half-moon slices.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sausage and sauerkraut heat through.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, garlic, dill and caraway. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spray two baking sheets with non-stick spray. Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on each baking sheet.
- Spread the sour-cream mixture over each pastry sheet to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Spoon the sausage mixture down the center of each pastry sheet.
- Top with cheese. Lightly brush the edges with water. Fold the long pastry side of each sheet over the filling and pinch the ends together to seal.
- With a sharp knife, pierce the strudels to create steam vents. Brush the tops of the strudels with water. Sprinkle with the poppy and sesame seeds.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.