Vicki Butts (lazyme)
Marinate the beef for up to 8 hours, refrigerated. It is best to skewer the meat and grill just before serving. From epicurious.
3/4 lbsirloin or tri-tip steak
8green onions, trimmed to 4 inches from root end
2 tsptoasted sesame seeds
1/2 cmirin (sweet rice wine) or dry sherry
1/2 csoy sauce (low sodium)
1/2 cchicken broth
1 Tbspfresh ginger, minced or finely grated
1 tspgarlic, minced or pressed
How to Make Beef Yakitori
- To make the marinade, combine the mirin, soy sauce, chicken broth, ginger, and garlic in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute.
- Pour the marinade into a shallow dish large enough to hold the meat and set aside to cool.
- Cut the beef into 24 (1-inch) squares about 1/2 inch thick.
- Add the beef to the cooled marinade, stir to evenly coat, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the trimmed green onions into thirds. Soak 12 (4- to 6-inch) bamboo skewers in water for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat an outdoor grill.
- Thread 2 pieces of beef and green onion, alternating, onto one end of each skewer.
- Grill the skewers until the meat is nicely browned and just a bit pink in the center, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skewers to a plate or small platter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Set the plate on a warming tray to keep warm, if you wish.