Asparagus Negimaki (Japanese Beef Rools)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
24thin asparagus spears, trimmed
1/2 csoy sauce
1/4 cmirin or dry sherry
1 Tbspfresh ginger, grated
1 clovegarlic, minced
1 bunchgreen onions, green portion only
1 1/2 lbbeef tenderloin
·freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Asparagus Negimaki (Japanese Beef Rools)
- Preheat a grill pan until hot. Also bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Blanch the asparagus spears in the salted water for about a minute. Drain and plunge the asparagus into an ice water bath to stop the cooking.
- In a small saucepan, combine soy sauce, sugar, mirin, ginger, and garlic. Heat over medium heat until reduced and slightly thickened. Set aside and let cool.
- Cut the green onions, lengthwise, into fourths, so that you have long strips.
- Slice the beef into 1/4-inch slices. Gently pound them to both tenderize and thin out. Dip the slices into the soy sauce mixture and place on a clean work surface. Season with black pepper.
- Place an asparagus spear and a piece of green onion on a beef slice and roll up. Do the same with the remaining asparagus and beef.
- Grill the beef rolls about 2 minutes until slightly charred and medium rare. Turn several times and brush with soy sauce mixture. Remove to a serving platter and drizzle generously with the soy sauce mixture.