Asparagus Negimaki (Japanese Beef Rools)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- thin asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1/2 c
- soy sauce
- 1/4 c
- 1/4 c
- mirin or dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 bunch
- green onions, green portion only
- 1 1/2 lb
- beef tenderloin
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Asparagus Negimaki (Japanese Beef Rools)
- 1Preheat a grill pan until hot. Also bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- 2Blanch the asparagus spears in the salted water for about a minute. Drain and plunge the asparagus into an ice water bath to stop the cooking.
- 3In a small saucepan, combine soy sauce, sugar, mirin, ginger, and garlic. Heat over medium heat until reduced and slightly thickened. Set aside and let cool.
- 4Cut the green onions, lengthwise, into fourths, so that you have long strips.
- 5Slice the beef into 1/4-inch slices. Gently pound them to both tenderize and thin out. Dip the slices into the soy sauce mixture and place on a clean work surface. Season with black pepper.
- 6Place an asparagus spear and a piece of green onion on a beef slice and roll up. Do the same with the remaining asparagus and beef.
- 7Grill the beef rolls about 2 minutes until slightly charred and medium rare. Turn several times and brush with soy sauce mixture. Remove to a serving platter and drizzle generously with the soy sauce mixture.