☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 4 oz
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded (2 ounces)
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 tsp
- cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- 6 medium
- 2 lb
- breakfast sausage (or any other spicy uncooked sausage removed from its casing)
How to Make Armadillo Eggs
- 1Preheat the oven to 375F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- 2Mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic, cilantro and cumin until well blended. Taste and add salt, and adjust seasonings.
- 3Remove the stems from the jalapenos and cut in half lengthwise.
- 4Scoop out the seeds and then cut the sliced jalapenos in half, horizontally.
- 5Place about a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling in each jalapeno quarter.
- 6Take about 1/3 cup of the sausage and pat it into a 3-inch circle and place the stuffed jalapeno in the center of the sausage.
- 7Wrap the sausage around the stuffed jalapeno until it’s completely covered, and form into an egg shape.
- 8Place sausage-wrapped jalapenos on the sheet, about an inch apart.
- 9Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked.
- 10For additional browning on top, you can place the sheet under the broiler for 2-5 minutes.
- 11Serve with buttermilk dressing, queso or salsa.