- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb. sharp aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. powdered mustard, such as coleman’s
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup flat beer or ale
- 1 can petite cut diced tomatoes, well drained, 14.5 oz
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
How to Make Welsh Rarebit
- 1Put bacon between two double sheets of microwave safe paper towels and microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes, turning slices over once, til bacon is lightly browned and fairly crisp. Chop bacon into bite.
- 2In large bowl, toss cheddar cheese with cornstarch and powdered mustard to coat.
- 3In medium pan, melt butter in beer over medium heat. Bring to boil. reduce heat to low and gradually stir in cheese mixture, letting each addition melt before adding more. Stir in diced tomatoes, bacon, Worcestershire and cayenne. Cook for 1 minute more or til heated through.
- 4Transfer to fondue pot, preferably ceramic or enameled cast iron and serve t once. Regulate heat under pot, if possible so that the cheese fondue remains warm, not hot. Makes about 4 cups, 4 to 6 main course servings, or 10 to 12 appetizer servings.