Swiss Emmental Bread
The recipe is really Swiss, not German (there isn't a Swiss category; German was the closest cuisine category to fit this recipe, so I selected it.
- 2 c
- finely grated emmental cheese
- 1 Tbsp
- light cream (or half & half)
- 1 medium
- 1 pinch
- baguette loaf (about 12 inches long)
How to Make Swiss Emmental Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F. Place oven rack in the middle of the oven. Cut baguette in half crosswise, then cut each piece in half lengthwise, yielding four (6-inch) long pieces.
- 2In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg with a fork about 70 times or until it's fluffy. Add the cream, cheese and paprika, and mix well. Spread the mixture evenly over the tops of the four baguette portions. Place each of the baguettes on a baking sheet, and place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven.
- 3Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until the cheese has melted and it just beginning to brown lightly. Remove from the oven, let cool, and cut into serving size portions. Serve immediately.