You can make these with colorful bell peppers, too. (I buy the "baby" bells in bulk.)
Serve these with burgers, steak, ribs, tacos, beans and rice, chili, roast chicken, baked potatoes, green salad, mac'n'cheese, pizza, etc, etc, etc...
- 2 lb
- fresh jalapenos
- 2 tsp
- salt (aprox)
- 8 oz
- cream cheese
- 10-20 slice
- precooked bacon (cold)
How to Make Stuffed Jalapenos
- 1Wash and dry jalapenos. Split each pepper lengthwise into 2-3 boat-shaped pieces. remove stems, seeds, and as much of internal membrane as possible (to reduce heat).
- 2Arrange pepper-boats in single layer in 9x13 baking dish. (You will need two or more dishes, or just save the rest of the peppers for a later batch.) Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 3Fill each boat with a little plain cream cheese. (I like to soften the cream cheese and "pipe" it from a plastic baggie with the corner snipped off, but I tend to get a little over-generous and run out of cheese before all the boats are topped.)
- 4Cut bacon strips into 4-6 long slivers. I cut mine in half crosswise, and then 2-3 strips lengthwise. You might want to trim some of the fattier bits off, but they will all crisp up in the oven, so no worries.
- 5Top each boat with a sliver of bacon, nudging it down into the cheese to make certain it sticks. (You don't want your bacon falling off when it's served.)
- 6Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Peppers should be well wilted and cheese should be just starting to brown. Allow to cool a little before serving. Makes 50-75 pieces. (Not servings, because you can't eat only one!)
- 7These are perfect for picnics and BBQs. Cool completely and pack in airtight containers, in single layers, separated by waxed paper.
Keep refrigerated if there are any leftovers. But use them up within a couple days!