Savory Stuffed Mushrooms
With the approach of fall and the winter holidays this is an easy and yummy appetizer.
- 1 pkg
- mushroom caps (large ones for stuffing)
- 1 c
- herbed stuffing crumbs such as pepperidge farm
- 1/4 c
- butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp
- poultry seasoning
- 2 Tbsp
- minced onion
- garlic powder
- sweet italian sausage links, casings removed
- sherry, pale and dry
- 4 oz
- cheddar cheese, shredded (cabot, sharp!)
- 1/2 c
- chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
How to Make Savory Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1Spray shallow casserole with cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 350.
Using a damp paper towel, wipe mushrooms and remove the stems.
- 2In food processor, pulse mushroom stems and onion. Place in saute pan, with sausage (remove from casings) and garlic. Saute in olive oil, stirring with spoon to break up meat.
When meat is no longer pink, return to food processor bowl and pulse to finely chop the cooked sausage.
- 3In medium bowl combine the stuffing crumbs, meat mixture, poultry seasoning, melted butter and generous splash of sherry. Add chicken broth as necessary to make mixture moist without being too wet.
- 4Spoon generous tablespoon of filling into each mushroom cap and place in shallow casserole. Bake for 20 min. Sprinkle with grated cheddar and return to oven until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve and enjoy!