Onion and Olive Tart
- pastry for single crust pie, chilled, store bought or your favorite homemade
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup black brined kalamata olives, pitted or pimento stuffed green olives, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs, divided
How to Make Onion and Olive Tart
- 1To make crust, coat an 8 inch round tart pan with vegetable spray roll out pastry dough. fit dough into bottom of tart pan and trim, leaving a 3/4 inch overhang. Chill in refrigerator while you make the filling.
- 2Heat butter and oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring with wooden spoon, til translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add garlic salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp. of thyme leaves, flour, olives, and Parmesan cheese and stir to mix.
- 3In another bowl, beat 2 of the eggs. Add a small amount of onion mixture and stir quickly to temper eggs. Add remaining onion mixture and stir to mix. Allow filling to cool.
Set oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 350.
- 4Add cooled filling to tart pan. Beat remaining egg and brush onto edges of pastry shell. Put tart on foil lined baking sheet and bake 35 to 40 minutes or til top is set. sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp. frsh thyme leaves. Cut into wedges and serve at once. Store leftovers covered with wax paper in refrigerator. Reheat in low oven. Makes 4 main course servings, or 6 to 8 first course servings.