Mini Mac Canapes
·2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
·1/4 cup toasted breadcrumbs
·1/4 lb. ditalini
·1 tbsp. flour
·1/3 cup whole milk, warmed
·2 oz. sharp cheddar grated
·2 oz. gruyere, grated
·1 large egg yolk
·1 tbsp. heavy cream
·1 tsp. dijon mustard
·salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Mini Mac Canapes
- Preheat oven to 425. Coat mini muffin pans with 1 Tbsp. of the butter. Sprinkle greased tins with breadcrumbs. if you are baking in batches, evenly distribute the butter and breadcrumbs.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta til it is just beginning to soften to the al dente stage. Drain pasta, run it under cold water, and return it to the pot.
- Heat remaining butter in a small pan over medium low heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute, or ti mixture turns slightly beige, is bubbly and appears to have grown in volume. Increase heat to medium and slowly whisk in warm milk. Bring to a boil whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer sauce for 2 minutes. Add the cheese to the sauce by 1/2 cup measures, stirring til cheese melts before making another addition. Pour sauce over pasta and stir well.
- Beat egg yolk with the cream and mustard and stir into pasta. Season with salt and pepper and press mixture into prepared tins. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or til cheese sauce is bubbly and tops are light brown. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then serve.
- The canapes can be baked up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered. Reheat them in 375 oven for 7 to 10 minutes or til hot.