Make-Ahead Southwestern Chili Cheese Empanadas
It's fairly easy to make because you use prepared pie crusts.
I've also added other ingredients, such as beef and sausage.
Served with sour cream and salsa, they can't be beat.
- 3/4 c
- (3 oz) taco-flavored cheese, finely shredded
- 1/3 c
- diced green chilies, drained
- 1 pkg
- (15 oz) refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 large
- chili powder
How to Make Make-Ahead Southwestern Chili Cheese Empanadas
- 1Combine cheese and chilies in a small bowl.
- 2Unfold 1 pastry crust on floured surface. Roll into 13-inch circle. Cut dough into 16 rounds using a 3-inch pastry cutter, re-rolling scraps as necessary. Repeat with remaining crusts to make 32 circles.
- 3Spoon 1 teaspoon cheese mixture in center of each dough round. Fold round in half, sealing edges with the tines of a fork.
- 4Place empanadas on wax paper-lined baking sheets; freeze, uncovered, for 1 hour or until firm. Place in resealable plastic food storage bags. Freeze up to 2 months, if desired.
- 5To complete recipe, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place frozen empanadas on ungreased baking sheet. Beat egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Brush on empanadas. Sprinkle with chili powder.
- 6Bake 12-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack to cool ... or better yet, serve them immediately with sour cream and salsa.