Homemade Corn Dogs or Cheese on a Stick
Annamaria Settanni McDonald
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 1/3 c
- yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 c
- 1 1/2 lb
- hot dogs
- additional flour for dusting
- additional oil for frying
- popsicle sticks, chop sticks or wooden meat skewers
- favorite sauces for dipping
How to Make Homemade Corn Dogs or Cheese on a Stick
- 1In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, eggs, oil, sugar and salt. Mix it very well. Sprinkle in the baking powder, corn meal and flour. Stir it all up to make a slightly thick batter.
- 2Take your hot dogs and dry them off on paper towels. Dust the hot dogs with flour, coating them completely. The cornmeal batter won’t stick to the hot dogs unless they are coated in flour. The batter just slides right off of the dogs’ naturally slick outsides. Insert popsicle sticks into the flour coated hot dogs. Set the hot dogs aside.
- 3While you are coating the hot dogs you can heat the oil. You want the temperature to be about 375°. Allow the oil to preheat so it is almost smoking by the time you are ready to add the corn dogs.
- 4Now, to coat the floured hot dogs with batter. Scoop some of your corn meal batter into a narrow jar or glass which is as tall as your hot dogs are long. Fill the jar or cup about 3/4 of the way full with batter. Dip your hot dog into the batter while you hold onto the stick. Swirl the hot dog to coat it evenly. Be careful or the batter will overflow. Raise the wiener above the cup and let any excess batter drip off. Quickly place the battered dog into the hot oil. The fat (oil) will bubble up and cook the outside of the batter, making the corn dogs the exact same shape as the ones you buy at the store. Only fry a few corn dogs at a time. If the corn dogs crowd each other they don’t fry very well. I only fry 2 or 3 at a time. Turn the corn dogs when the bottom side is well browned. Use tongs to remove the cooked corn dogs from the fat (oil). Allow them to drain on paper towels. Repeat the process, coating and frying a few at a time, until all of the corn dogs are cooked.
- 5CHEESE ON A STICK, Do the same procedure only replace the hot dog for your favorite cheese cut into cheese stick form. You can also omit the sticks and make mini corn dogs/mini cheese on stick.