Helen's Fried Cheese Balls with Chili Mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs (i like panko for this recipe)
- 5 drops worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 6 tbsp. chili sauce
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper or brined hot chopped peppers
How to Make Helen's Fried Cheese Balls with Chili Mayonnaise
- 1To make the cheese balls, cover a cooling rack with three layers of paper towels. In a bowl, mix cheese, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce and beaten egg. Roll dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Set aside.
- 2To make mayonnaise,mix mayonnaise, chili sauce, lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl and mix well.Cover and chill til ready to use.
- 3Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 375 in a heavy deep flat bottomed pan or electric fryer. Use a slotted spoon to transfer balls, one at a time, onto hot oil. Fry balls in batches of four (to keep oil temperature from dropping) turning once, til both sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove with slotted spoon to prepared rack. Cover with additional paper towels and allot to drain. Serve at once or keep warm in a 200 oven ti ready to serve. Serve with chili mayo.
- 4Tips on Deep frying:
Always use an electric fryer following the manufacture's instructions or a deep flat bottomed heavy pot on a level surface.
Do not use plastic utensils when frying
Use fresh oil every time you fry.
Heat oil gradually and in an uncovered pot. The pot should be only half filled with oi to allow for foaming that may occur when items are lowered into it.
Use a thermometer to gauge the temperature of the fat at all times.
Keep temperature of fat constant. Allow time for the temperature to adjust after each batch.
If appropriate, dry items on paper towels before immersing in hot fat.
Keep items the same size so they will fry uniformly
Don't crowd items in the pan.
Have a bowl of ice water handy for spatters and burns. Never leave the frying area unattended
Let oil cool completely pan before discarding.