Hand-crafted American Cheese
1 1/2 Tbspwarm water
1 pkgknox® original unflavored gelatine [about 2 1/2 teaspoons]
1/2 tspannatto, finely ground [optional, but this is what cheesemakers have used for centuries to give cheese that "sunny" yellow color]
1 Tbspking arthur® whole milk powder
1 1/2 Tbspkosher salt
1/4 tspcream of tartar
1/4 tspfinely ground white pepper
10 ozwisconsin medium cheddar, finely grated, room temperature
3 ozdomestic parmesan cheese, finely grated, room temperature
3/4 chalf & half®, room temperature
How to Make Hand-crafted American Cheese
- Carefully line a small loaf pan [5"L X 3"W X 2"H] with waxed paper, parchment paper or plastic wrap, leaving excess to cover top of pan. If using paper, fold and crease neatly, as if "wrapping" a package.
- "Bloom" gelatine in a small bowl with warm water for about 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, annatto, milk powder, cream of tartar, kosher salt and white pepper. Pulse a few times until evenly mixed.
- Bring Half & Half® to a boil. Remove from heat and add gelatine.
- With food processor running on "low", slowly pour in Half & Half® and combine with cheese mixture until smooth and silky; about 1 minute.
- Place cheese mixture in loaf pan. "Drop" pan squarely on counter top a few times to compact and remove any air bubbles.
- Cover top with liner and chill for no less than 3 hours; over night is best. Enjoy!