Ham and Cheese Crisps (TNT)
My friends son couldn't stop eating them. She had to tell him to leave some for others. From California Mosaic cookbook.
How to Make Ham and Cheese Crisps (TNT)
- Thaw puff pastry at room temperature for 20 minutes. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Mix the honey and Dijon mustard in a bowl. Preheat oven to 400.
- Unfold one of the puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Spread with half the honey mixture. Sprinkle with half the cheese and top with half the ham. Starting at the long edge, roll as for a jelly roll halfway to enclose the filling. Repeat the process from the opposite edge, forming two rolls that meet in the center
- Cut the roll crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. If the roll is too soft to slice, chill in refrigerator for several minutes. Arrange the slices 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining puff pastry, remaining honey mixture, remaining cheese and remaining ham. The slices can be frozen at this point for future use.
- Whisk the egg and water in a bowl until mixed and brush the egg wash over the slices. Bake fresh or frozen pastry slices for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Any combination of meat and cheese will work in this recipe. Try prosciutto with provolone cheese, salami with Gruyere cheese or smoked turkey with Cheddar cheese. Makes 40 crisps.