Gram's Hungarian Kiffle
- 2 - 8oz pkg
- cream cheese
- 1 c
- butter, unsalted - no substitutions
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
- filling, your choice: crushed nut, poppyseed, lekvar (prune butter), applebutter, apricot ~any fruit filling works, etc. i usually make a variety
How to Make Gram's Hungarian Kiffle
- 11) Cream butter and cream cheese till fluffy; gradually blending in sugar.
- 22) Stir together flour and salt, stir into a creamed mixture. OR...like me, you could just use a food processor for this step to form the dough.
- 33) Divide in half and roll with your hands to form a "Ball" and Cover; chilling dough several hours or overnight. Be advised; the less you handle the dough the more delicate and flakier it will be when it's baked.
- 44) On lightly floured surface, roll each portion into rectangles, THEN cut them down into about 2 1/2-inch squares. (There WILL be "odd triangle" sizes left. You'll USE them too! - Kiffles are a ROLLED, 'cresent-shape".)
- 55) Place a dollop (about one rounded teaspoon) of filling in the center of each square.
- 66) Lift up two diagonal corners of the dough to center, pinching together to seal into crescents.
- 77) Preheat oven to 375°.
- 88) Place dough on ungreased cookie sheet. (I'd STILL spray them with BUTTER FLAVORED PAM! - Better 'safe' than STUCK!)
Bake till firm until golden brown (about 12-15 minutes).
- 99) Cool on wire racks. Sift powdered sugar over slightly warm pastries.
- 1010) Store loosely covered in a cool dry place.