Fabuleuse Baked Brie en Croute
Whenever this baked brie has been served at family gatherings and holidays, it's always the first appetizer to disappear from the table! The combination of delicate brie along with the tang of cranberries and sweetness of the jam and toasted almonds create a pleasant party of sensations in your mouth!
NOTE: Do not go cheap on the cheese! A good round of brie is essential. Going for a cheap brand may mean too strong of a cheese flavor, and a ruined baked brie en croute. We found this out the hard way this past Christmas. C'était horrible!
1sheet of puff pastry
1/2 craspberry (or apricot) preserves
1/3 cdried cranberries
1/4 ctoasted almond slices
1brie cheese round (13.2 oz approx.)
1 pkgcrackers - for serving
How to Make Fabuleuse Baked Brie en Croute
- Thaw the pastry sheet until it's soft and easy to work with, about 30-40 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the egg and water in a small bowl.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 14 inch square. Cut off the corners of the sheet to make a circle, and save the scraps.
- Spread the fruit preserves in the dough withing 1 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the cranberries and almonds over the preserves.
- Place the Brie in the center of the dough. Brush the edge of the dough with the egg mixture. This will help hold the pastry together around the Brie.
- Fold 2 opposite sides of the pastry over the Brie. Trim the remaining 2 sides to 2 inches from the edge of the cheese and then fold up onto the cheese. Press the edges to seal.
- Place seam-side down on a lightly greased baking sheet. Decorate the top of the pastry with the scraps of dough, if desired. Brush over the entire pastry with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Let the Brie stand for 40 minutes to an hour once removed from the oven.
- Serve with crackers. While I find most people prefer simple butter Ritz crackers, almost any variety goes very well with this recipe. Enjoy!