1/2 cport wine,preferably ruby
2(3 1/2"x1")strips orange zest
1/2 cdried figs,chopped
1round loaf crusty bread, 6 1/2" in diameter,about 1 lb.
3 Tbspapple jelly,melted
1/2 cchopped toasted walnuts
1/4 cdried apricots,chopped
2 Tbspgolden raisins
1/2 tspchopped fresh thyme
1whole round baby brie cheese 5" in diameter,about 13.2oz.
1small pear,5-6 oz.,cored,thinly sliced
How to Make Brie Baked in a Bread Bowl
- In small pot,combine port and orange zest;over medium high heat,bring to boil.Add figs;cook over low heat 5 minutes.Remove from heat;cool.Let stand overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.Using serated knife, horizontally cut about 1'thick slice off top of bread;reserve.Pull out and discard enough soft
bread from crust so that cheese fits in and is
- Drain figs,reserving port and discarding zest.
Combine 3 Tbs.of the port with apple jelly.In a
bowl,mix figs with walnuts,apricots,raisins,thyme,
and 3 Tbs.apple jelly mixture.Trim rind from top
of cheese in half. Horizontally cut cheese in half.
Place bottom of the cheese in bread;top with fig
mixture,then remaining cheese.Arrange pear slices
over cheese then cover with top of bread.Wrap bread
in foil;place on baking sheet.Bake 45 to 50 minutes
or until cheese is melted and bread is hot.
- Unwrap bread;remove top.Let stand 30 minutes before
serving.Just before serving,brush pears with reserved apple jelly mixture,te-melting in the
microwave in 15 second intervals,if necessary.Cut
bread top into pieces;serve with cheese.
- Kitchen time:40 minutes.Total time: 2 hours+overnight.