Böreks (Turkish Cheese and Herb Appetizer)
6 ozfeta cheese, crumbled
2 Tbspfresh chives, finely chopped (or dill can be ussed)
2 Tbspfresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tspblack pepper (or to taste)
6 Tbspunsalted butter, melted
8 sheet(s)phyllo pastry dough
How to Make Böreks (Turkish Cheese and Herb Appetizer)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Crumble the feta cheese, then mix feta with the chives (or dill), parsley, and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Skim off any foam that accumulates.
- Cut the phyllo pastry sheets into 3-inch strips. Take one strip and cover the rest with a clean, damp cloth.
- Brush the first phyllo strip with melted butter, and place a teaspoon of feta/herb mixture on the bottom right corner of the phyllo sheet, about 1/4-inch from the edge.
- Pick up the bottom right corner of the phyllo sheet and fold it up and over the feta/herb mixture so the corner reaches the top edge of the phyllo sheet and forms a triangle. Keep folding the pastry over itself, being careful that the filling remains intact, until you reach the end of the phyllo sheet and have a triangle shaped pastry.
- Repeat steps #5 and #6, using remaining phyllo sheets and feta/herb mixture.
- Lay pastries on a baking sheet, and brush with remaining melted butter. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.