Afghan Kabuli Pulao
RawSpiceBar Spices & Spice Kits
- rawspicebar’s afghan pulao spices
- 7 c
- basmati rice
- large onions, diced
- 3 oz
- pistachio nut slivers
- 3 oz
- almond slivers
- 10 oz
- 1/3 c
- sugar, divided
- vegetable oil
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Afghan Kabuli Pulao
- 1Earlier in the day: Place the rice in a large colander and run cold water over it to rinse it well.
- 2Now pour the rice in a large bowl and cover it with cold water to soak for 4 to 5 hours.
- 3Pour 1/6 cup of sugar into a large, hot saucepan over medium heat and keep shaking the pan until the sugar caramelizes.
- 4Add 1 cup of the reserved lamb stock, the RawSpiceBar’s Afghan Pulao Spices, salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and set aside.
- 5Drain the soaked rice. Then, following the cooking directions on the package, boil it until just soft. Drain again and pour the rice over the caramelized sugar mixture and stir until the rice is well coated.
- 6Using a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and the remaining sugar and stir for 5 minutes or until caramelized and glossy. Add the raisins and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 7With the underside of a large wooden spoon punch holes all over the rice allowing the steam to escape. Drizzle rice with olive oil.
- 8Now, top the rice with the carrot mixture and the prepared lamb.
- 9Cover with a tea towel and the lid of the pan. Make sure the towel is under the lid so it doesn’t burn. Now turn the heat to high and cook the rice mixture for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and keep it covered for 10 more minutes.
- 10To serve, cover a large platter with a layer of the rice, spoon the lamb over it, and then all the remaining rice. Top with the carrot mixture and finally with the almonds and pistachios. This serves a large family, as is traditional with Afghan communities.