2 chominy (rinsed and drained)
3/4 cpurple onion (cut in 1/4 inch dice)
3 stalk(s)green onions (trimed and minced)
1 1/2 tspminced garlic
1 cpanko breadcrumbs
3/4 cprovolone cheese, shredded
3 Tbspolive oil
1 Tbspground cumin
1/2jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
How to Make Hominy Cakes
- Puree the hominy in food processor until no whole kernels remain.
or you can mash with a masher or fork
- Heat a medium saucepan and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add the green and red onions, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and cilantro; saute until softened and turn translucent.
- Mix with the hominy and fold in the cheese and 1 egg.
- To test the seasoning fry a little of the batter and taste, adjust seasonings if needed.
- Proportion into 2-ounce cakes.
- Pour the flour into a dish.
- In a second dish, beat the remaining 2 eggs with 1 tablespoon water.
- In a third dish pour the Panko crumbs.
- Coat each hominy cake first with flour, then dip into the egg wash, then roll in the panko crumbs.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet until very hot.