Spicy Saffron Mussels
1 Tbspolive oil
1 largeshallot, chopped
1 mediumfennel bulb, sliced thinly
1 tspcrushed red pepper flakes
2 clovegarlic, minced
1/4 lbchorizo (mexican sausage, mild or medium
1 cwhite wine, medium, divided
1 pinchsaffron threads
2 lbmussels, cleaned and debearded
1 Tbsptarragon, chopped
1 Tbspparsley, chopped
How to Make Spicy Saffron Mussels
- In a very large pan over medium heat, saute shallots and fennel in olive oil until translucent. Add pepper flakes and garlic and continue to cook for about 1 minute.
- Add chorizo and cook until the chorizo is cooked through.
- In the meanwhile, in 1/4 cup wine add saffron and allow to set for about 3 minutes.
- Stir wine / saffron mixture and remaining 3/4 cup wine to chorizo / fennel mixture. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Add in clean mussels, put a lid on the pan and cook until mussels open. About 5 - 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard any mussels that do not open.
- Add chopped tarragon and parsley. Stir carefully to combine.
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide between 4 bowls for appetizer or 2 bowls for main dish. Serve with crusty french bread.