Mussels with Basil Cream/Cozze Con Crema E Basilic
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 4 Tbsp
- finely chopped onion
- 2 clove
- garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp
- white peppercorns - coarsely crushed
- bay leaves
- 4 lb
- fresh cultured mussels
- 1/2 c
- dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- leek, white portion only, julienned
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 6 Tbsp
- tomato concasse (crushed pulp of skinned and seeded tomato)
- 2 pinch
- each of nutmeg, salt and pepper
- lemon - juice of
- 1 1/2 c
- (approximately) of mussel cooking liquid
- 1 c
- hwavy cream
- 4 Tbsp
- fresh basil - chopped and added at the lasy moment
FRESH BASIL CREAM
How to Make Mussels with Basil Cream/Cozze Con Crema E Basilic
- 1For the Mussels:
Saute onion in butter in a large heavy saucepan until translucent. Add garlic, crushed peppercorns, bay leaves and salt to taste. Saute one more minute
- 2Meanwhile scrub and beard mussels discarding those that are not closed. Add wine and 2 cups of water to the pan, add the mussels and bring to a boil.
- 3Cover and cook over high heat about 3 minutes or until all mussels are open. Discard those that don't open.
- 4Remove mussels from broth and discard the top empty half of shell. Put the mussels in the half shells in a serving dish and keep warm.
- 5Strain broth/juices through cheesecloth and set aside for the sauce.
- 6For the sauce:
Heat butter in a saute pan until it foams. Add leek, garlic, tomato and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 7Saute for 3 minutes then add the lemon juice and strained mussel liquid - reduce by 1/3rd over medium heat.
- 8Add cream and again reduce by 1/3rd. Adjust seasonings.
- 9Add chopped basil and quickly bring to a boil. Pour at once over warm mussels. Serve immediately or basil will lose it's green tint.