Bolinhos de Bacalhau (Fried Salt Cod Cakes)
This recipe calls for salt cod but I use fresh to save on days of soaking the salt cod.
2 lbsalt cod or fresh cod
4 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
2 smallwhite onions, finely chopped
6 largeegg yolks
4 lbyellow potatoes, cooked and mashed
·kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
·finely chopped fresh parsley
·vegetable oil, for frying
How to Make Bolinhos de Bacalhau (Fried Salt Cod Cakes)
- Cover the salt cod with cool water. Soak for 36 hours, changing the water every 8 hours.
Note: If using fresh cod skip this step.
- Drain cod and pat dry. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Note: For fresh cod wash and pat dry.
- Add cod and cook until warmed through and softened. Cool and then shred. Set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Put egg yolks in a bowl and lightly beat. Add cooled onions, shredded cod, potatoes, salt, pepper and parsley. Mix thoroughly.
- Mold into bite-sized portions in your preferred shape – typically served as a round orb or football-like with pinched edges on either side.
- Heat a pot of vegetable oil to 350F. Fry bolinhos until browned and crispy.
Do not stir bolinhos while frying until slightly browned or they can fall apart.