Chicken + Mushroom Vol-au-vents
There so handy you can baked the pastry shells the day before that special occasion and store for up to 24 hours in a airtight container...hope you like and enjoy...:)
- packet of ready made puff pastry.+ 1 egg with a little pinch of salt for glazing..
- 4 oz
- packet of ready cooked chicken pieces
- 2 Tbsp
- meduim mushrooms, wash+chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1 1/4 c
- white wine (whatever is your favorite or have opened)
- 2 Tbsp
- chicken stock cube.(desolved in 1/3 cup of hot water)
- 1/2 tsp
- dijon mustard or wholegrain mustard (not the powdered stuff)
- 1 c
- fresh whipping cream
- salt + white pepper to season
How to Make Chicken + Mushroom Vol-au-vents
- 1Pe-heat the oven to 180c/350f.
prepare a baking tray what I use is a baking sheet non stick or grease with little oil all over with a sheet of kitchen paper to smooth over tray.
- 2On a floured surface roll out the puff pastry to about 1/2 inch in thickness.
Cut out with a 10cm circle pastry cutter 10 circles of pastry.
Place 5 of them on the baking tray ,beat the egg with the salt together to make the glaze . brush the egg wash over the 5 pastry circles that are on the baking tray.
The remaining 5 circles ,cut out 5 rings with a smaller 6cm cutter and place the 5 rings on top of the 5 circles ,that are egg washed on the baking tray. Egg wash the rings on top, put the smaller 5 circles onto the baking tray and also egg wash then on top.
- 5FOR VOL-AU-LENTS FILLING =
melt 1 tablespoon of butter in your sauce pan over medium heat, add the chopped mushrooms and sautee for 3 minutes ,until lightly golden brown.
- 6Add to that garlic + thyme and mix up with the mushrooms in the pan. Add the wine stirring through the mushrooms ,garlic and thyme. Turn the heat on high and to a simmering point so the wine really gets to cook in to the mushrooms.
- 9Gradually add the chicken stock whisking continuously to prevent clumping .Bring to a simmer and continue to stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Add the fresh cream and mustard and stir to combine ,you want a creamy thick sauce here . If you feel it's too thick add a little wine couple tablespoons (optional) or some milk ..
- 10Add chicken + mushroom mixture to the creamy sauce mixture stir well to combine . Season to your taste with salt + pepper let it simmer for 1-2 minutes stirring well . Turn off the heat your filling is done .
- 11Now you can start to fill the vol-au-vents shells . First gently push down with you finger the raise bit of pastry in the centre of vol-au-vent , making sure not to push down too hard that the bottom will break through .
Fill your shells to the top with the chicken + mushroom cream sauce with a teaspoon , and place the small pastry lid on top for decoration.