Stuffed Banana Peppers
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 cchopped onion
1/2 cchopped celery
1(28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1(8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 clovegarlic, minced
1 tspdried basil
1 tspdried oregano
2 1/2 tspsalt, divided
1/2 tspground black pepper, divided
1 tspworcestershire sauce
1/2 cgrated parmesan cheese
1 lbhot italian sausage
1 lbmild italian sausage
1 1/2 cbread crumbs
How to Make Stuffed Banana Peppers
- Cut off tops of peppers, and remove ribs and seeds
- Chop edible portions of tops; set aside
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil
- Add peppers, reduce heat, and simmer until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside
- Heat butter in a medium skillet. Saute reserved chopped pepper, onion and celery until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and garlic. Season with basil, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan.
- Mix in hot sausage, mild sausage, bread crumbs and 1 cup of the tomato sauce mixture
- Using a piping bag or sausage stuffer, fill each pepper with the meat mixture.
- Place in a 3 quart casserole dish, and pour remaining tomato sauce mixture over peppers.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 1 hour