11. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and raw carrot, stirring for about 2 minutes.
22. Season ground beef with oregano, salt, pepper and then add it to the pot, stirring occasionally until brown.
33. Drain the grease once the beef is cooked, and then return to heat. Add in potatoes (and green beans if using.) Stir to combine and remove from heat. Season with a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and additional salt to taste. Set aside and allow to cool.
3 cups MASECA masa harina
1 tsp. salt
1 tablespoon achiote molido/ground annatto
3 cups water
51. Mix the dry ingredients and then add the water a cup at a time, mixing by hand until combined. Set aside. Keep a bowl of fresh water nearby for wetting your hands as you form the patties.
6Forming the Patties:
1. With moist hands, take a handful of masa, slightly larger than a golf ball, and shape it into a tortilla.
72. Put a large spoonful of filling in the middle and then bring the sides of the tortilla together like a taco and seal by closing your hand gently to form the pastel into a half-moon shape
83. Fry patties in a large, deep pan with plenty of canola oil over medium-high heat, flipping to slightly brown on each side. Remove to paper towel-lined pyrex or plate.
94. Serve patties with the coleslaw and the tomato sauce. Makes approximately 18 with leftover filling (which is great the next day over rice as picadillo!)
10Notes on the coleslaw and the tomato sauce
Salvadorian Tomato Sauce
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (and the liquid)
1/8 cup diced onion
1/8 cup diced green pepper
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
salt, pepper and oregano to taste
1. In a food processor set to mince, add tomatoes and liquid, onion and green pepper. Process until completely combined.
2. Pour tomato sauce into a pot on medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and then simmer one minute. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar. Add salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Cool and serve or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
1/2 a small cabbage, washed and chopped in large pieces
2 large carrots, washed, peeled and chopped in large pieces
1/2 small onion, chopped
apple cider vinegar
oregano, salt and pepper
1. In a food processor set to chop, add cabbage, carrots and onion all at once. Process just until chopped.
2. Put cabbage mixture into a large bowl, add apple cider vinegar and a little warm water to taste. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Serve or keep covered in the refrigerator.