/ Meat Appetizers
shallots finely chopped
chicken livers, chopped or ground
freshly ground pepper
boiled ham cut in one thick slice
small bay leaves, dried
How to Make Pate Maison
11. Preheat oven to 350*F. Cover the bacon with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water and reserve.
22. Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the shallots and saute over medium heat until soft. Transfer to mixing bowl.
33. Add the pork, veal, chicken livers and garlic. Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
44. Combine nutmeg, thyme, cloves, salt, pepper, brandy, and eggs in a small bowl. Mix until well blended. Add to the meat mixture and mix well.
55. Slice ham into strips 1/4" wide.
66. Line a 1 1/2 quart terrine with the bacon. Arrange the bacon strips so that there will be enough overhang to cover the pate when the terrine is filled.
77. Spread 1/3 of the pate mixture on the bottom of the terrine. Lay 1/2 of the ham strips to voer the pate. Cover with 1/3 of the pate. Repeat the ham layer and top with the remaining pate.
88. Fold bacon over the top and place bay leaves on top of the bacon. Cover with a double thickness of aluminum foil and cover with either a terrine lid or a cookie sheet.
99. Place the terrine in a roasting pan and fill the pan with enough water to come up 2/3 of the way up the side of the terrine. Bake at 350*F for 1 1/2 hours.
1010. Remove the terrine from the water bath. Remove lid. Place a bread board on top and weight with a heavy book, brick or whatever you have. Cool completely and refrigerate for at least 2 days.
Note: The meats can be ground by your butcher, in a food processor or meat grinder,.
Printable Recipe Card
Posted: Sun, Jan 12, 2014