1/2 lbsliced bacon
2shallots finely chopped
1 lbground pork
1/2 lbchicken livers, chopped or ground
2 clovegarlic chopped
1/2 tspthyme, dried
1/8 tspcloves ground
3/4 tspfreshly ground pepper
1/2 lbboiled ham cut in one thick slice
2small bay leaves, dried
How to Make Pate Maison
- 1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Cover the bacon with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water and reserve.
- 2. Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the shallots and saute over medium heat until soft. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- 3. Add the pork, veal, chicken livers and garlic. Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- 4. Combine nutmeg, thyme, cloves, salt, pepper, brandy, and eggs in a small bowl. Mix until well blended. Add to the meat mixture and mix well.
- 5. Slice ham into strips 1/4" wide.
- 6. Line a 1 1/2 quart terrine with the bacon. Arrange the bacon strips so that there will be enough overhang to cover the pate when the terrine is filled.
- 7. Spread 1/3 of the pate mixture on the bottom of the terrine. Lay 1/2 of the ham strips to voer the pate. Cover with 1/3 of the pate. Repeat the ham layer and top with the remaining pate.
- 8. Fold bacon over the top and place bay leaves on top of the bacon. Cover with a double thickness of aluminum foil and cover with either a terrine lid or a cookie sheet.
- 9. Place the terrine in a roasting pan and fill the pan with enough water to come up 2/3 of the way up the side of the terrine. Bake at 350*F for 1 1/2 hours.
- 10. Remove the terrine from the water bath. Remove lid. Place a bread board on top and weight with a heavy book, brick or whatever you have. Cool completely and refrigerate for at least 2 days.
Note: The meats can be ground by your butcher, in a food processor or meat grinder,.