Hot Sausage Appetizer in Savory Sauce
3-4 lbsmoked sausage and/or polish kielbasa (keep in casings)
4-6 Tbspreal butter
1 largeonion, diced or sliced
1 largegreen bell pepper
1 jar(s)heinz or del monte chili sauce
1/2 cbrown sugar
How to Make Hot Sausage Appetizer in Savory Sauce
- Cut up sausage into 1/2 inch or bite size pieces (on a diagonal). Precook in a large pan of water, simmering for 15 - 20 minutes. Drawn well and set aside to add to sauce.
- In a large electric skillet (or large sauce pan) on medium setting, sauté onion and bell pepper in butter 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except sausage) and stir. Cover and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add sausage, stirring to coat. Cover and simmer on very low until ready to serve - up to an hour, stirring occasionally. Sauce gets better with time.
- Serve from the electric skillet (or casserole dish) with tooth picks or offer a spoon for small plates and forks. Small rolls are an option for sandwiches as a heavier appetizer or dinner entree. Either way, It will be gone in no time!
- This can all be done ahead of time. It will serve as many as you need. The amount of sauce will allow you to add more sausage (up to 4 lbs) if using toothpicks. Over 4 lbs. I would recommend doubling the sauce.