Homemade Corn Dogs
Diane Hopson Smith
Today I decided make my own since this will probably be the only way I will ever have another homemade corn dog. We haven't been to a state fair in so long I can't remember the last one I went to. And probably won't be going to another any time soon if at all.
I've added a little heat to mine, just because I like a little heat. If you don't then don't add the jalapeno or the cayenne. They will still be good!
Both kids and adults will enjoy. These were super easy and turned out just right.
Hope you enjoy!
3/4 cyellow cornmeal
3/4 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/8 tspcayenne pepper (optional)
1 mediumjalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
·cornstarch or all-purpose flour for rolling
·vegetable oil for frying
How to Make Homemade Corn Dogs
- In one bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and cayenne.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs and buttermilk; add minced jalapeno (if desired).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; stir until moistened. Pour mixture into a tall glass; set aside.
- Pour oil in deep fryer and heat to 350 degrees.
- Skewer the franks and dust with cornstarch or flour; shake off any excess.
- Dip franks into batter coating completely and fry for about 3 minutes or until nicely browned. Don't crowd the fryer, only do 2 or 3 at a time.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, which would be ketchup and mustard for me.