Fried Pork Skins aka Chicharron
How to Make Fried Pork Skins aka Chicharron
- Put the skin on the chopping board with the fat side up, try to remove all the fat you can, cut the clean skin into strips about 1/2 x 1 1/2.
- Cook the strips in boiling water for 10 min and then strain, let them cool a bit.
- Spread them in a single layer in a dehydrator or on a rack in an oven at 125F for at least 12 hrs or until dried (it should be hard). OR us your smoker. :)
At this point you can cook immediately or save for another time.
- Prepare a pot with oil at 350F
- Add the dried skins, they will puff very fast so be ready with a slotted spoon and a plate to drain them on. Remove from the oil and place them on paper to drain.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, bbq seasonings, your favorite rub, herbs, whatever.