Sunshine Cheese Straws or Wafers
How to Make Sunshine Cheese Straws or Wafers
- Sift flour, salt, and cayenne pepper (if using) into a large bowl.
- Cut cold butter into small pieces and blend into dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cheese and blend with your fingers, or the dough hook of an electric mixer, until the dough hangs together and is no longer crumbly.
- Working with 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll out to a rectangle about 1/3 of an inch thick. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut into strips 1/2-inch wide and about 5 inches long.
- If you prefer a wafer shape, cut the dough with a small biscuit or cookie cutter that is about 1-1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 375 F. for ten to 15 minutes until very lightly browned. Be careful not to overbake. (For a pretty effect, give the straws a half twist before baking.)
- HINT: These will firm up as they cool. Carefully remove from the baking sheet with a spatula and let cool completely on a flat surface before storing.