Spicy Cheese Puffs
1/4 cbutter - unsalted
1/4 tspkosher or sea salt
1 call purpose flour
1/4 tspcayenne pepper - more or less to suit your taste
1/2 cgruyere cheese - shredded
12 ozbacon - cooked crisp and chopped well
1 Tbspfleur de sel flaked salt
How to Make Spicy Cheese Puffs
- Preheat the oven to 375 f
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk, butter, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil.
When the butter has melted, remove from heat and add the flour all at once.
Using a wooden spoon, beat the mixture vigorously until it forms a ball.
Return to medium heat and continue stirring for 1 minute, or until the mixture dries. .
- Remove the mixture from the saucepan and spoon it into a food processor.
Let cool for 5 minutes.
After it has cooled slightly, process for a few seconds.
- Add the eggs and cayenne and process for another 15 seconds, or until it is well combined.
Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
Stir in the cheese and bacon until they are just mixed in.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto your prepared baking sheet spacing the mounds 2 inches apart.
Sprinkle the tops of the puff with fleur de sel.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until browned and crisp.